Removing Tough Carpet Stains Carpets are hard to clean. Even when you think you have…
Have you ever thought about what is trapped deep inside your carpet fibres? Probably not. Honestly, you probably don’t want to know.
There are things like soil and grime that, once they settle in your carpet, they stay there. Having your carpet professionally cleaned will help alleviate these nuisances.
Why Do I Need My Carpet Professionally Cleaned?
Some people might ask, “Why should I have my carpet professionally cleaned? Can’t I just do it myself?”
Yes, you probably can. But there are a lot of good reasons to have your carpet cleaned.
- Keeping your family healthy is a top priority. Those who suffer from allergies or asthma are most affected. Carpet is the perfect breeding ground for germs and bacteria. If you want to be sure your carpet isn’t harboring these pathogens, you should hire a professional carpet cleaner.
- A tidy appearance is important. You want your carpet to look good, especially when you have guests over. If your carpet is filthy, even if the rest of your house is clean, it will still make your house look unkempt, making visitors uncomfortable and less likely to come back.
- Pet owners are prime candidates for professional carpet cleaning. Dogs and cats leave fur, dander and mites everywhere. Sweeping and vacuuming can only do so much. You need to have your carpet cleaned professionally, regularly, even if your pets don’t shed much, simply because they are messy by nature. They also carry their own germs and bacteria that you will want to have removed.
- Commercial carpet cleaning is a must for businesses. Not only should the premises be presentable for visitors, but for those who work there as well. People spend a great majority of their day at work, employers should provide their employees with a clean workspace.
- Carpet is a major investment. Having your floors cleaned will help your carpet last longer, which means you won’t have to replace it as soon as you would if you didn’t.
What Cleaning Method is Best for My Carpet?
Now that you know you want your carpet professionally cleaned and are looking to hire the best company for the job, what cleaning method is best for your carpet?
Not only should you pick the best process for your floors, but you will want to take into consideration the type of machine that will be used as well. A truck-mounted machine is larger with more power, resulting in better soil and stain removal. Portable machines are better for smaller jobs, but sometimes must be used in large multi-level buildings and hard-to-get-to spaces.
While hot water extraction steam cleaning is by far the most popular and considered the best overall method, each of the following procedures has its own demand in certain situations.
Hot water extraction is more commonly referred to as steam cleaning. This mistakenly comes from the steam that can be seen during the process, but it is actually just the by-product of the hot water. It requires a combination of hot water and professional cleaning products that are pumped deep within the carpet fibers to release dirt. Powerful suction extracts the water, leaving a clean area that is free from residue. Drying times vary from as little as 2 hours on up to 24 hours in certain cases, such as extreme humidity. As mentioned before, this is by far the most popular method for cleaning soiled carpets.
Carpet shampooing has been around for many years. Most carpet cleaners had moved away from this method due to longer drying times and residue that may be left in the carpet. In recent years improvements have been made to the products to alleviate these issues. Even still, this process will not leave your carpet as clean as hot water extraction. Occasionally clients resist trying something new and will request a carpet shampoo. Thankfully, there are many carpet cleaners in the Perth area who still offer this service.
Dry Cleaning is an alternative option for those clients who are wary about having large amounts of water deposited on their floors. It is also optimal for office buildings and hotels where traffic areas can be cleaned and dried in a short period of time. Bonnet Cleaning uses a machine that has a pad soaked in a special chemical solvent. It moves over the carpet, extracting deep dirt as it goes. It is usually quick and inexpensive, which is a pro compared to the other methods. The only downfall is it primarily cleans the surface. Bonnet cleaning is not a good solution for floors needing a deep clean.
Encapsulation requires putting a special chemical on your carpet that crystalizes into a powder when dry. This powder pulls the soil from deep inside the carpet and then can be swept or vacuumed. Encapsulation is a good surface cleaner but should not replace a deep clean treatment.
Dry Powder Carpet Cleaning is a great alternative for floors that see very little use. It is also a great way to keep your carpets fresh between regular cleanings. This system uses an absorbent powder that is infused with cleaning agents and solvents. The powder can be applied to the carpet either by hand, or by special spreading machines then worked into the carpet by rotating bristles.
Most professional carpet cleaning companies also provide other related services including:
- Upholstery cleaning
- Hardwood floor cleaning
- Tile and grout cleaning
- Area rug cleaning
- Mattress cleaning
- Drapery cleaning
- Automobile, boat and RV cleaning
- Air duct cleaning
- Natural stone cleaning
How Often Should I Have My Carpet Professionally Cleaned?
The recommended time frame to clean your carpet is every six to twelve months. For high-traffic households with kids, pets, or smokers, cleanings should be scheduled 2-3 times per year. Regular vacuuming is, of course, essential between cleanings.
Of course, there are certain circumstances that may require immediate clean up despite how recent your last cleaning may have been. In these instances, a spot cleaning may or may not suffice. These include:
- Blood, vomit, urine or other bodily fluids
- Fire damage
- Water damage due to plumbing, appliances, etc.
- Hazardous chemical spills
- Pest infestation
- Colored products that may cause permanent staining
- Oils or grease spots
There are some ways you can keep your floors from getting out of hand in between cleanings:
- Doormats inside and out can be a lifesaver. You want mats that have a surface which dirt and debris will cling to, preventing it from being tracked into the home. It is recommended to sweep doormats regularly.
- Some people require everyone to remove their shoes before entering carpeted areas. While this is not always practical, especially with small children, it definitely works. Work boots should be banned from the carpet at all times.
- Placing area rugs in high traffic areas or places where messes are more likely to occur, such as in front of the sofa, will extend the life of your carpet.
- Rain and snow can wreak havoc on your clean floors. Towels, old sheets or drop cloths can help prevent muddy footprints.
- Vacuum, sweep, and mop regularly. Don’t worry about wearing down your carpet by running the vacuum cleaner too much.
- Clean up accidents and spills as soon as they happen. Once stubborn stains are set in, it is increasingly harder to get them out.
Is it Worth it to Hire a Professional Carpet Cleaner?
One very common question customer has – how much should one pay for carpet cleaning? And is price an accurate indicator of a quality?
Depending on how much you want to spend, there are expenses you need to take into consideration.
Firstly, if you want to clean your house yourself, then you are looking at about $30 to $50 per day to rent a steamer. Which is considerably cheaper than on average about $50 for a professional cleaning company to clean just one room.
Other companies do have packages, such as 3 rooms cleaned for what can range between $85 to $250.
On the other hand, if you do it yourself, do you know what you’re doing? Will you get it as clean as the professionals can? And could you do your entire house in one day or would you need to rent it again? Most people would say it’s worth it just to go ahead and pay a little more in order to ensure that your carpet is cleaned the right way.
Second, if you are thinking you might want to replace your carpet instead of cleaning it, what will that cost? Well, it depends on what kind of carpet you’re putting in. The cheaper ones can cost about $20 per square metre all the way up to the most expensive ones at $200 per square metre. Then, on top of that, you’re going to have to pay companies to come in and install the carpet, which can get extremely pricey on top of the expenses you’ve already paid.
So, in conclusion of whether hiring a professional company to clean the carpet in your home is worth it, I would say based on the costs of everything else, the answer is yes.
If you are needing a business cleaned, you may need to determine if it is more cost-efficient to have someone do it in-house or hire a professional.
Things to Consider Before Hiring a Professional Carpet Cleaner
As with any purchase, there are some things you may want to think about. Let’s look at the opposite side of this. What are some of the drawbacks of having your carpet professionally cleaned?
Unfortunately, there are some unethical carpet cleaning companies that will add tons of extra and hidden fees to try to get the most money out of you that they can. So, if you have your carpet professionally cleaned, be sure to keep an eye out for those fees.
This should not deter you, only enlighten you. There are many reputable carpet cleaners in the Perth area. Fremantle, Joondalup, Midland, Rockingham and Mandurah all have numerous carpet cleaning companies that have excellent reviews and ratings. Just do your due diligence before choosing the company that best suits your needs.
Or you could skip the queue and just contact us for an obligation-free quote.
There is no question that regular carpet cleaning by a professional is a good idea. It’s the only sure way to maintain healthier, visually attractive and longer lasting carpets.
Whether you’re a business owner, a busy mother in charge of the household chores, or a bachelor, there are more reasons to keep your carpet and furniture clean than we could possibly list here.